During the month of June, the adult class meeting at the Training Station (200 Elm St, Manchester) will be working on ZNKR Jodo. It has been a while since we did these, so we are providing resources for those wishing to train with us.
Kihon (Solo Exercises)
- Honte Uchi (forward hand strike)– natural grip, striking the face from either side.
- Gyakute Uchi (reverse hand strike) – inverted grip. Unlike #1, grip does not change in strike.
- Hiki Otoshi Uchi (sliding knockdown) – attack an opponent holding a sword in chudan.
- Kaeshi Zuki (thrust to solar plexus) – twist hips, thrust using the rear end of the jo
- Gyakute Zuki (overhead thrust to solar plexus) – using inverted grip thrust from a high position
- Maki Otoshi (sweeping down) – block a strike to the head with a jo angled to protect, sweep sword aside with circular movement
- Kuri Tsuke (pinning and trapping) – evade strike by bringing jo up almost parallel to floor; sweep with front end of jo.
- Kuri Hanashi (throwing away) – from same evasion of $#7 sweep up and turn to push tachi up and away
- Tai Atari (body check) – evade as in #7, sweep up and then thrust forward with the jo perpendicular to the ground. Take another step forward.
- Tsuki Hazushi Uchi (thrust block and strike) – with jo held above the head; draw back to receive sword, switch hands, and then strike down
- Dou Barai Uchi (block to side of body and strike) – block strike to torso by turning to right, step back, then strike sword down
- Tai Hazushi Uchi (retreat and strike forward) – step back as recovering jo, strike overhead.
Seitei Jo (Paired Techniques)
Tzuki Zue (Attaching Stick)
- Evade an attack to the center of your head and strike your opponent’s left forearm.
- As your opponent retreats, holding the sword in the jodan position, follow with honte uchi to his right forearm.
Suigetsu (Solar Plexus)
- Evade an attack to the center of your head and thrust at your opponent’s suigetsu.
- As your opponent retreats, and holds sword at chudan, draw back into hiki otoshi and strike down on sword.
Hissage (Hidden down)
- Open in hissage to create space.
- Bring jo forward into gyakute grip to meet opponent’s sword in space.
- Draw back to hiki otoshi, then strike under opponent’s wrists withwith Kuri Hanashi.
Shamen (Hidden down)
- Evade attack to head.
- Cross left hand to assume gyaku grip and then strike from right, rising to hit opponent’s temple.
- When opponent draws sword to jodan, step forward with Kaeshi Zuki.
- Opponent thrusts to solar plexus and jo is brought from ichimonji to deflect.
- Kuri Hanashi strike to the sword, followed.
- Opponent retreats, brings sword to hasso and then threatens.
- Draw back into hiki otoshi, and then strike down on sword.
Monomi (On Guard)
- Take monomi posture and as opponent strikes to head, draw back and then strike opponent’s forearm with honte uchi.
- As opponent draws sword to jodan, go to gyaku zuki and strike to solar plexus.
- Meet opponent at maai with jo in gyaku grip
- Drive sword down and threaten eyes to cause retreat.
- When opponent retreats, draw back to hiki otoshi, Then strike upward to attack wrists in kuri tsuke.
- Drive up and back with tai atari.
- Opponent retreats, so draw back to hiki otoshi on your left side.
- Again, attack wrists from below when opponent strikes, using kuri tsuke.
- Drive opponent back with kaeshi tsuke to solar plexus and threaten.